Monday 19 March 2007

ring a ding, a ding dong

About a day ago, I was lying in my bed watching the news and I witnessed a report on Channel 5 from a citizen journalist who was reporting about the use of mobile phones on public transport, and no it is not about someone getting up in the morning, maybe a bit angry from the lack of sleep and deciding to rage war against mobile phone users, but was about those people who play the music aloud on their phones.

I am sure you know what I am on about, we have all witnessed it at some time. If you have not, dont worry, your time will come and in the words of MR T, "I pitty the fool". Sorry if I am calling you a fool, but you will get so annoyed that you probably will "knock the suca out".

Anyway, forget about my rants and raves and back to the story. The report focused on one City Council across the water and how the council introduced a hotline as well as a fine for those who continued playing their music aloud on public transport.

So what has this got to do with us?

Well I think this story has a lot to do with us, especially in time we are living in, with most people owning MP3 players, I-pods and other techno gizmos I can not remmember their names, so I am not going to mention them. But more importantly, this story raises issues such as lack of respect for other people and the flip side of the argument, a lack of respect for a person to express their individuality.

This is a difficult one to call and as usual it is a juggling act between the common good and the rights of the individual.

For instance, I was on the bus coming home after a long and exhuasting day, and a group of young people came on the bus, no problems there. It was not until after they sat down, their mobiles came out of their pockets and the tunes began. Now do not get me wrong I love my music and I will not put down anyone because of their music sense, but the stuff I heard was enough to make you contemplate Hara Kiri.

For example; "Sponge Bob Square Pants", the "Gerbil or Hamster Song", the "Ginger Alert", which is pretty funny because there was someone with Ginger Hair on the bus, and last but not least "Thomas the Tank Engine" mixed with "50 cent's", find me in the club, you no what song I am talking about.

Ok the scenario has been established. How would you feel if this happened to you? Or has it already happened?

Would you;

(a) Say something to the individuals, saying something like "Would you please could turn it off", acting in the interests of the common good, because somehow I do not think you would appreciate SpongeBob being repeated about five-six times on the one journey.

Or

(B) Not say something, continue on your journey, and think to yourself , ok if they want to listen to that its ok because there are individuals and being liberal minded you do not mind freedom of expression and individuality.

Or

(C) do nothing because knowing the area you are travelling in and the people you are speaking to, if you speak out, it will probably start an argument leading to violence etc etc etc.

Ok these are going a bit extreme, and I would pick probably parts B and C , but hopefully the theme of the Battle between individuality and the Common Good, if this even exsists or if one can define it, has been illustrated.

If not I will leave you to ponder upon these.

If you were living in the Council where this has been introduced, how would you consider enforcing this matter? And furthermore can you imagine going to court over your choice of music? Or is the "Nanny State" Syndrome going a bit too far?

1 comment:

Michelle Gallen said...

The other day, after a 'heavy' weekend, I took the bus to Derry. I was tired. I hadn't had enough sleep. I'd been a bit frazzled over the weekend. And I'd been looking forward to snoozing in the top deck of the Derry bus. Got in. Got the coveted front seat. Got settled. Smooshed my coat into a pillow shape and settled down to snooze.

What a shame the 2 teenage girls with the laptop in the seat beside weren't playing lullabies on their laptop. They were blasting crap music through crap speakers on their crap laptop.

I was at breaking point at this stage. I am normally the type of citizen who will ask someone politely if they can desist from irritating behaviour, prior to appealing to a higher authority.

But after a weekend of broken sleep and stressful encounters, I knew my first words would be followed by either (a) tears and incoherence or (b) a physically violent attack on the offending piece of technology.

So I took my ipod and plugged myself in, trying to drown out their shite.

Wonder has Ulsterbus made it illegal to play music through a laptop on a public bus yet???